Every year, nearly 3000 children and teens die from gunfire, and nearly 14,000 are injured.

Sunday, July 15, 2012

17-year old upstate New York girl shoots father over ATM card

Shooter Trinity Copeland, age 17
A 17-year old girl, Trinity Copeland, shot her father to death with a rifle in his Troy, New York, apartment.  They had been arguing over the use of his ATM card.

According to an article:
Trinity Copeland confessed the shooting to investigators, the Times Union of Albany reported.
The newspaper said Trinity called 911 early Friday to report that her father, Harlan Copeland, had been shot in his Troy apartment.
The two had been arguing over Trinity's repeated use of her father's ATM card against his wishes.
The teen told police that her father ordered her to kill him — or he would kill them both, the newspaper reported.
Trinity was arraigned on second-degree murder charges.

Another article goes into deeper details, and Trinity claims that she shot her father after her father threatened to shoot her:

According to her statement, after shooting her father, she opened a window to make it look like someone had entered their home at 3022 Seventh Ave., went upstairs for help and then called police. Harlan Copeland was found at about 4:30 a.m. and declared dead at the scene.

In the statement, Copeland explained that she took her father’s ATM card on July 11 and used it twice at a corner store in Albany, spending $122 the first time and $32 the second. While her father made a formal complaint to Troy police and knew where the money was spent, he didn’t know who spent it. He told his daughter they were going to look at the surveillance tapes from that day.
....
“I was telling him I was sorry. I told him that I wanted to tell him before he saw it on video,” she said in the statement. “He was like, ‘Don’t want to hear it.’ He told me that he was gonna kill me. He was holding the gun and pointing it at me. My heart was pounding. He said after he killed me he was going to kill himself because he wasn’t going to go to jail for me misbehaving.”

She told police she begged him not to do it and he said he “was going to kill us both or I was going to have to kill him. I said I didn’t want to. He was like then I’m gonna kill you right now. I said no, no, no, no.”

She then said her father gave her the gun and she took it.

“I aimed it and he told me what to say to cover it up,” she said to police. “Then I asked him again ‘please don’t make me kill you, it’s not that serious.’ He was like ‘I’m not going to say it again.’ I was like ‘why do I have to kill you, why do I have to kill you?’

“He said either way he was going to die and he was giving me a way out,” she said. “He laid back on the couch and I aimed it at him. He said do it. I told him that I loved him and that I was sorry. Then I did it. I shot him. I put the gun on the ground and looked at him. I said ‘dad, dad.’”

In the statement, she explained that her father told her to put gloves on before she shot him and she opened a window to make it look like an intruder had done the deed. She then said she grabbed her father’s phone, went upstairs for help and then called the police.

Every gun in the hands of a child must first pass through the hands of an adult.

1 comment:

  1. wow; why not shoot him in stomach and leave for help. he wouldn't have been ablee to leave or how about in the legs? why the head. wacked.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment. Your comment will be posted after being approved.